Tom Mason is founder of Mason Public Affairs. He combines more than 40 years’ experience at the intersection of media, public policy and marketing. He worked 10 years in the United States Senate, serving twice as chief of staff and one term as director of communications-and- research at the National Republican Senatorial Committee, the political arm of the U.S. Senate GOP leadership. For five years Tom was president of Gannon McCarthy Mason, a public affairs consulting firm with offices in Washington, D.C. and New York City. He has consulted to or managed 17 statewide political campaigns. Internationally, he has consulted to candidates and political parties in Ukraine, Georgia and Bulgaria.
He also served five years as editor and publisher of Twin Cities Business Monthly, a magazine that four times was named America’s best regional business magazine during his tenure.
- 2000-2002, 2004, 2006-Present, Mason Public Affairs, Inc., President
- 2010-Present, the Alliance for a Healthier Minnesota, President
- 2005-2014, University of Minnesota-Duluth, Adjunct Faculty
- 2005, Governor Tim Pawlenty, Communications Director
- 2003, United States Senator Norm Coleman, Chief of Staff
- 1995-1999, Twin Cities Business Monthly, Editor & Publisher
- 1990-1995, Gannon McCarthy Mason (Washington, DC), President
- 1989-1990, Senator Rudy Boschwitz, Campaign Director
- 1987-1988, National Republican Senatorial Committee, Director of Communications & Research
- 1985-1986, Senator Jim Abdnor (SD), Chief of Staff
- 1980-1984, Senator Rudy Boschwitz, Communications Director
- 1977-1980, Commercial West magazine, Weekly Journal of Banking and Finance, Editor
- 1975-1976, Worthington Daily Globe, Reporter
Past Civic Activities:
- Center of the American Experiment (board member)
- Trust for America’s Health, a Washington, D.C.-based non-profit (board member)
- The Memorial Blood Centers of Minnesota (board member)
- The Minnesota Council on Quality (board member)
- The Capital City Partnership (board member)
- The Greater Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce (board member)
- The Turnaround Management Association (board member)
- The Greater Minneapolis Convention and Visitor’s Association (board member).