Minneapolis violence – a weekend recap
This is the third in a series of four reports intended to document violent weekend activity in Minneapolis — coinciding with efforts by city leaders to draw more people back to Minneapolis over the weekends for entertainment. Read previous reports here and here.
The following bulleted summary was culled from the Twitter feed of @CrimeWatchMpls, which continues to do an excellent job of documenting and reporting violence other media outlets no longer report.
The level of violence is troubling, often random, and contradictory to the narrative that too frequently suggests criminal violence is being overblown. Is this the level of violence you have been led to believe is occurring in Minneapolis?
This past weekend’s summary includes overdoses, shootings, robberies, carjackings, fleeing police, a deadly car crashes, and continued chaos in Dinkytown and the Stone Arch Bridge area for the fourth weekend in a row:
- Suspect with a felony warrant took off from an EMS rig in #MplsDowntown and he’s high. 7th and Park
- Multiple vehicles damaged along Lake Street from Lyndale to Harriet Ave S from a crash involving an intoxicated driver.
- Bystanders are doing CPR on a party and there’s a vehicle in the middle of the street at Lyndale and Lake St.
- Robbery at gunpoint and assault. Victim was hit in the head with a pistol. Near 1st Ave S and E 22nd St.
- Report of “kids assaulted” at Folwell Park 37th and Humboldt Ave N
- Kollege Klub late Friday night…fireworks were thrown into the KK crowd on the outdoor patio.
- UMPD report a large group is shooting fireworks at them. Requesting MPD back up. Chateau Student Housing Co-op 425 13th Ave SE
- Melee in front of Frank & Andrea’s Pizza in #Dinkytown about 2 a.m. Sunday. Aired by MPD as a fight. Code 4 (under control) was aired 5 minutes later. Hennepin County appears to be on site.
- About 3 a.m., report of 60 people and vehicles at 6th and Main St SE with fireworks and causing a disturbance near the Stone Arch Bridge.
- Just before midnight, shooting. Drive-by. Shooter in a white SUV. Also a Shotspotter activation. 41st and Colfax Ave N
- Suspect firing shots into the air on The Mall in #UptownMpls Saturday morning just after 6 a.m. The suspect walked toward Lunds after the shots.
- MPD confirms five dead in the crash we reported Friday night, including four women and a female child. State Patrol observed a vehicle speeding on I-35W northbound near 46th. Before a stop could be initiated, the vehicle exited at Lake St and T-boned the victim vehicle.
- Police report a back passenger in a vehicle is shooting an Orbeez gun (gel pellets) at a crowd near 13th Ave SE and 4th St SE. Gray Camry of similar
- Fight at 8th St N and 1st Ave N Also a report of a white Jeep with a KOPS Alert on it for weapons, DZS377. A white Jeep tried to flee and ran over an officer’s bicycle. No officers injured.
- A person tried to assault two Traffic Control agents, requesting MPD. 3rd St N and 2nd Ave N
- Police are out with a vehicle that was struck by gunfire at Lowry and Aldrich Ave N.
- A squad was shot at near 22nd and E Lake St. They were responding to a narcotics call.
- A squad was just rammed at Lake St and 2nd Ave S “Need more cops.”
- Traffic Control supervisor just warned agents not to go into the streets near the Twins game because the “hotrodders” are out there and he doesn’t want anyone to get hurt. #MplsDowntown #Mpls
- Report of one in full arrest from overdose at the Metro Transit Riverside LRT station, Blue Line.
- Foot pursuit of one possibly with a “switch.” 19th and Chicago Ave In custody, north of Franklin Ave
- Report of an argument and a shot fired at/near Elan Uptown Luxury Apartments 2837 Emerson Ave S
- Report of a gun pointing incident and shot fired. 35xx E 28th St.
- Overdose on fentanyl at 31xx Emerson Ave S, possible full arrest. The person is turning blue.
- Three Shotspotter activations 17xx and 12xx and 15xx W Broadway Ave
- Shotspotter 4 rounds. 2xx E Lake St